Motor Accident Claims

Q. I was partly to blame for the accident. Can I still claim?
A. Yes, but you will have a percentage deduction from your final damages to reflect your responsibility even if you are mainly to blame. You cannot claim if you are wholly responsible for the accident.

Q. I was a passenger in a car accident. Can I claim?
A. Yes you are not responsible for the incident! You can claim against either the driver of the vehicle you were travelling in or the other party involved.

Q. Can I claim against my husband, wife or family members?
A. Yes. Remember you are not claiming against them personally, but against their Motor Insurers.

Q. The other driver was uninsured or fled the scene of the accident. Can I claim?
A. Yes, via an organisation called the Motor Insurers Bureau. This organisation is funded by the Insurance Industry, and provides support for people who have been involved in accidents where the other person is uninsured and cannot be traced.

Accidents at Work Claims

Q. What are my employer’s responsibilities to me?
A. An employer must provide a safe working environment, safe working conditions, suitable equipment, training and supervision, and competent staff.

Q. Does my employer pay for an accident at work claim?
A. No. The claim will be against your employer’s liability insurance company.

Q. Can I be sacked for making a claim?
A. No! You would have a claim for unfair dismissal as well as the injury claim.

Q. Should I note my accident in the company’s accident report book?
A. Yes! If you do not have an accident report book then be sure to tell your employer of the circumstances and the injuries sustained. You should also make a note of all witnesses who saw the accident.

Slip and Trip Claims

Q. Where can a slip and trip claim take place?
A. Almost anywhere. They can take place whilst walking down a street, whilst in a shop or as a result of an accident at work.

Q. What should I do if I have an accident?
A. You should take a photograph of the defect which caused you to fall as soon as possible. You should try and place an object next to it, in order to give us an idea of the size, i.e. Ruler on coin. Advise whoever is responsible for the upkeep of the area that the incident has occurred, i.e. local council, employer or owner of the shop. Obtain names and addresses of any witnesses to the incident.